Wednesday 25 August 2010

Seaside Memory-Keeping

The seaside has always been a very special place for me, since my childhood days. Seaside holidays to traditional resorts or remote and magical coastlines are something I've always loved.
A few years ago I discovered the inspiring memory-keeping craft of scrapbooking and it became a craze for me, an obsession for quite a while. I found old family photos and made scrapbook pages and mini scrapbooks with them, and chose pictures of my daughters to turn into little books about them. I created little books about meeting my husband, about my earliest childhood memories and family history. It was a thrilling creative time for me.

These little books are some I made to store my seaside memories. It's lovely to think that tucked inside these little covers along with treasured photos are words and ephemera to recall those times, small things to capture the often fleeting moments.


I now use all the scrapbook techniques I learnt then in my paper crafts projects for books and magazines, and I still make pages for my continuing family scrapbook. The picture below shows
the memory book cover I designed for a magazine project earlier this year.



How do you keep your memories? x



3 comments:

Wendy said...

Hello, I think scrapbooking is a lovely idea. I just haven't got around to it yet. I love creating photo collages in big frames to put on the wall. The latest is of our recent holiday - to the seaside! A good, old fashioned bucket and spade seaside holiday. I have kept a diary for each of my sons since they were born detailing all of their milestones, big and small. I hope one day they'll find them interesting!! W x

Helen Philipps said...

Hi Wendy Your photo collages sound lovely and the diaries for your boys are a wonderful way of memory-keeping - I'm sure they will appreciate having them! x

Sewmancer said...

Yum! I love the scrapbooks - I've always wanted to do them but never really manage it. Thanks so much for your visit to my blog - I've found another blog to add to my RSS reader for definite!