Sunday 3 October 2010

Sew Inspired


Don't you just love this card? It's by Martin Wiscombe and I bought it in the V&A shop in London earlier this year. There are several in this series on crafts themes so I bought a few. I think I might just have to pin it on the studio wall rather than sending it to anyone else...
I was really inspired to sew this weekend, so after a bit of dutiful garden tidying (it didn't rain after all so the jobs outdoors just had to be tackled!) I got out this quilt which has been on hold for a few weeks. It will take quite a while to do as I want to make an outer border and also add red applique flowers here and there on the patchwork top.

So, I sewed on the first flower and knew I wanted to have pale blue centres in the red flowers - but should they be a blue button...

Or should they be a blue fabric circle? I think I prefer the fabric circles - what do you think? I'll go off and have a cup of tea while I think about it. I might also have a little read...

Last week this gorgeous new magazine was sent to me. It's called Homestyle Sewing, it's filled with lovely projects to sew for the home and for gifts, and it has a very creative colourful look. It also has a free pack of pretty crafts materials too - very inspiring.

I hope the coming week is a happy and inspiring one for you all. x


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a really pretty card, I think you're right to keep it yourself!
The colours in your quilt are gorgeous and the little flowers are lovely. I must admit I like the button but then I love buttons so I'm likely to be a bit biased.
Have a great week!
Vivienne x

barbara said...

What an adorable quilt ... and the magazine looks lovely too

ps I like the blue button!

Sewmancer said...

Your quilt is divine! Go for the blue patch - pure snuggle-ability. Buttons can get in the way or stick into you when you're all curled up with a hot chocolate!

sandra said...

What a beautiful quilt! The fabric are so fresh and pretty. I think I prefer the fabric circle. Buttons can feel a bit hard on a lovely soft quilt.

Teje said...

Hello Helen! You are making lovely patchwork! Red flowers are so qute details! That lovely card is perfect for your studio!
Wishes with sunshine Teje

debbie @ happy little cottage said...

Love the patchwork! I vote for the fabric center :) That card definitely is a keeper. Would love to visit the V & A some day.

Rubyred said...

Oh Helen, the quilt is adorable! such pretty prints and colours! I think the button looks lovely, but the ladies are probably right in that fabric circles would be more comfortable!The card is lovely too!I'm making fabric note holders today, the sun's out too!
Have a lovely day!
Rachel x